Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The AJAX Paradigm

Paul Kedrosky has made an interesting comment over what we should expect from the new generation AJAX apps. He makes a comparison with Desktop.com in the bubble times.

Many people are making same mistakes again. Om Malik mentioned Writely as a thin client. Why would I need a word processer over web, the inherently unreliable media. And even if I do, why would I trust keeping my documents with someone [and somewhere] else.

To quote Paul:
"What I really want from Ajax apps is for them to do stuff that it’s too hard to do with binary apps. I want them to be sensibly integrated with online resources; I want them to support realtime collaboration. I want them to do different stuff from Word/Excel/Powerpoint, not just do the same thing with a different engine under the hood."
Can't agree more.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We (at Writely) agree too...if you look on our blog (writely.blogspot.com) we talk about how we're very much not trying to copy Word, but trying to re-invent these services in a way that makes sense on the web.

There are actually things in this realm that the binary apps have trouble doing - like mixed live and non-live editing, very simple publishing, etc. As we get deeper into the space, we find more and more uses for Writely - and none of them are Word uses.

I agree very much - this is NOT about reinventing the wheel because you can. It's about providing new value. Hope you give us another look.
Sam

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Brajesh said...

Even slashdot got recent news items about web-based office suite, which apparently was a hype.

There are inhibitions about web-based Office suite and these are well-reasoned.

Indeed there are some things browser is pretty good at, but document editing, I have my doubts. Sure I would give writely as many looks as I can.

There _is_ a void for Office applications in terms of collaberative editing, but any solution would have to seamlessly fit with current scenario and then evolve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home